Monday, September 1, 2008

Flutterby.



I found this ridiculous, fabulous dress the other day and had to make a set with it. Managed to pair it with some items I've been waiting to use for a while now (I finally organised all the items I've been adding).

--

This is the second butterfly-themed set I've made (here's the other), even though I'm not that big a fan of butterflies. It only took five or ten minutes to make so I don't mind if it doesn't get any attention -- though already it has one favourite which is equal to Art Star, my first menswear set that I thought was pretty awesome (c'mon, it referenced Barbara Krueger, Piet Mondrian and Roy Lichtenstein!). Again, I think it's much harder to get menswear noticed on Polyvore than a pretty dress -- though probably that's because in thumbnail view, most menswear looks more or less the same unless it's something that looks straight out of a movie set. Not that I have a problem with that. Hose is sexy.



(Not that he's wearing hose here, but meh. Leonard Whiting in Zeffirelli's 1968 Romeo and Juliet -- it's all cleavage, codpieces and contrasting hose. Awesome. Olivia Hussey as Juliet is rather nice to watch also. Leonard reminds me a little of Gael Garcia Bernal in that last one, actually.)





I saw the most alarmingly beautiful man walking down Swanston St the other day. A tall black man with short hair dressed in slacks, white shirt with pale blue stripes, woollen vest and a navy cap like the white ones Ralph Lauren designed for the American Olympians' opening ceremony uniform. Casual in that 1948 yacht club way which makes me throw class politics out the window and swoon (something like a certain group of Cambridge graduates, then -- though they were all commies so maybe that's okay?).

I think it's a good general rule that anyone who looks like they might be from another era is worth your time. I mean, they might be the Doctor.


No comments: