Saturday, October 18, 2008

Red carpet black.



Classic versus trendy. I'm not too happy with either of these sets but I thought I should do something with the giant collection of black dresses I've built up in my saved items. I do love that Dior ring and the YSL envelope purse. And I'm always a fan of a sweet little minaudiere.

--

I'd go the trendy side for sure, in this one, although the shoes are not what I wanted (I'd started with these Miss Sixty heels, but then I realised they were printed on the side which I think is gross -- still, I had wanted a harder, gladiator look). I can imagine it on someone who's quite classically beautiful but going for a more interesting look, like Charlize Theron seems to be doing these days. Speaking of which, I actually really like this dress.

Now that I've outed myself as someone who follows celebrity fashion, I may as well share some of my real life picks for red carpet blacks.

anonymous - Cannes 2007



I don't know who this is in this crazy film strip dress, but it's just the sort of fabulous, daring thing one should bring out for Cannes. This is one of my all-time red carpet winners.

Vanessa Paradis - Oscars 2008



I have a feeling this is vintage Chanel but I can't remember where I read that. In any case it's beautiful and elegant without being dull. My only gripe is that it's perhaps a touch too sombre.

Eva Green - all the freakin' time

Now you all know I have a mad crush on Eva Green, so this might be a touch biased. Most of these pics are nabbed from Red Carpet Fashion Awards -- a great blog on my watchlist. Anyway, apparently Eva is famous for wearing black on the red carpet. And Dior, but I'm not sure if that's mutual admiration or because she's under contract.

Here she is at the Golden Compass New York Premiere, in Dior Fall 2007.



I think this is gorgeous, dramatic and so classy. Next up she's in Dior Spring 2007, at the launch of something or other.



For some people this might be too casual but I think it's just right for a launch -- I feel like overly fussy gowns should be reserved for awards ceremonies and maybe big premieres. The bling totally carries this from sassy streetwear to defiant glam.

The next one is Eva at the 2008 Baftas:



Dior Spring 2008, again -- this one's too funereal for me. A pity because it's so gorgeous, and I want to love it, but long-sleeved, floor-length black is too much. The neckline could have brought back from the dead but it just rings of a suit jacket. I can't imagine this dress working any other way, either -- it's really perfect as it is -- but it just seems wrong for the occasion.



This one's at another launch, designer unknown. Some hated this but I'm a sucker for a crazy big collar (like Heidi Klum's red dress at the 2008 Oscars) and I love it. And it's so good to see sequins used in a way that's neither tacky nor fussy.

Diane Kruger - GQ Gentlemen's Ball 2008



I have no fucking clue who Diane Kruger is but she's been dressing gorgeously of late. This isn't red carpet but I had to show it -- it's so damn cool, down to the bobby pin in her hair. Love the nude make up. Not sure about the shoes but they're forgiveable.

Then there's the Dior Fall 2008 Couture dress she wore to the Venice Film Festival.



Go Fug Yourself loved it then hated it when they realised that the skirt was transparent, Red Carpet Fashion Awards loved it anyway and named it their pick of the week. I think I like it regardless. God knows I love her pretty bowed slingbacks. What do you think?

2 comments:

Miss Karen said...

Eva Green looks absolutely stunning in every picture!

I also love your polyvore set too - so many coventable pieces :)

heartofpearl♥ said...

gosh black looks so great i really love it. i like the ring too!